Capacitive Level Sensors & Switches
The best way to assess the functionality of a product is to test it in your application. Our capacitance level transmitter prototype allows customers to accurately measure liquid, water, oil, and other fluid levels from outside the tank. We have two types of prototypes available for sampling:
- Prototype 1 – Comes with the availability of up to four discrete switching points
- Prototype 2 – Features analog continuous level monitoring with power supply and LEDs
Non-contact Liquid Capacitance Level Switches & Sensors Advantages
- No mechanical parts
- High lifetime, no wear
- Fluid is not contaminated (by sensor)
- Simple replacement in case of defect
- Suitable with plastic- and glass containers
- Adhesion can be recognized
- Limit level detectors are more robust in case of deviations compared to continuous level sensors.
- With continuous level sensors there is a self calibration common with the first operation
A Look into How Capacitive Level Sensors OperateThe liquid is known as the dielectric. The key property of dielectric materials is the dielectric constant or relative permittivity. This property is the amount of charge the liquid can absorb.
As the liquid is introduced near the electrodes of the capacitor, the capacitance changes progressively and liquid level can be determined. To measure variations in capacitance, electric energy flowing into and out of the electrodes is measured as the circuit potential is varied. A regular flow of energy is established by connecting the electrodes to an alternating current measurement circuit. The more energy flow to the electrodes, the greater the capacitance, meaning more liquid between the electrodes.
Capacitive Level Sensors CalibrationProper sensor calibration requires taking reference measurements at empty and full. Generally, we need to know the dielectric constant of the liquid being measured to calibrate the capacitive level sensor at its full condition. Once the empty and full outputs are established, liquid level sensing comes to relating sensor output to these values.
Learn even more about our technology by viewing and downloading our Capacitive Sensor Prototype Datasheet.
Interested in Sampling a Capacitive Level Sensor Prototype? Tell us about your application!
Our product is currently in development which allows us to demonstrate the function with initial samples, but we also would appreciate your feedback. Please complete the form and tell us about your application: